If you’re looking for a new job or on the verge of accepting an offer, keep these tips in mind to ensure your next job will progress your career:
- Don’t wait until you’re desperate. Timing is everything. Desperate energy could result in another job you don’t love. Be mindful about the jobs you seek and start the search the moment you feel it’s time to move on.
- Get it in writing. Be cautious about accepting verbal offers. Ask for an offer letter before you make a decision. This can help with negotiating since this should include salary and benefits information.
- Research. We’ve probably drilled this into your heads by now. Market research is essential knowledge to leverage your value.
- Negotiate. We know it’s intimidating. Think of it this way: if they rescind an offer or aren’t willing to compromise, why work there?
- Review the job description. Make sure you understand your responsibilities. If something seems vague, ask. Some employers add “as needed” and you could find yourself doing database entry when you’re an event planner.
Image Source: Giphy